Deschutes in November
Jim Nelson kicked off November with a fine pair of wild steelhead. Jim fished the Deschutes back in September, and had a steelhead encounter that haunted him until he returned last week and settled the score. Nice work Jim!! Steelhead have a way of luring us back to the river again and again. For the hearty angler, there may be no better month to visit the river.
A couple of things came to mind while I floated through the canyon yesterday.
1) I love the fog that hangs in the canyon this time of year. It gives the river such a classic steelhead feel.
2) I love the fall colors. I could just stare at the poplar trees this time of year.
3) Every time I am on the river I gaze at the rim rock above and wonder where the chukar are.
4) Every time I am on top of the canyon, I look down at the river and wonder where the steelhead are.
5) Lastly, I am always impressed by how well the lower river can fish in November. Nothing like having the river to yourself.
Yesterday singer songwriter Radney Foster and Dr. Tim Persse landed two beautiful steelhead. Radney and Tim are such classy guys... they brought a nice bottle of pinot noir and a couple of cigars to enjoy after lunch. Does it get any better?